Disclaimer: Views are of the blogger's own and does not (necessarily) reflect actual common-sense.

Wednesday 16 January 2019

Hey, let's do some racism!

Okay, that's a joke. Elsewhere further away from Asia, Steve King attempted doing his own Stephen King. But there's a problem: His fellow Republicans decided to become a party of Shining Johnnies. And no one messes with a Shining Johnny. Not even Steve King. But that's because he's no Stephen King in the first place.

Now it must be stated that endorsing white nationalism in the U.S is like saying Singapore belongs to China. Why? Because we got the ethnic majority and we all know (roughly) who to look for whenever someone behaves like a local dick to his fellow local Singaporeans. When it comes to dealing with those not of your skin colour, he/she who is wicked in the smallest things is wicked in the bigger things. But I guess that's what it means to be a human being. Namely, to be dickish.

So let's take a break from the negativity and enjoy this song below.


If you're tired of the Singaporean brand of positive creativity or the current Hollywood fare, then perhaps Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel is for you. Part 1 is over, now we're entering Part 2. Aimer truly brought to life the entire Fate series with her songs. Last Stardust summed up Emiya Shirou's one and only path in Unlimited Blade Works while Hana no Uta sang out the voices of Shirou and Matou Sakura's feelings for each other. As for I beg you (no, you're not seeing this wrong. The lack of capital letters for a song title is Aimer'ly correct), it leads the listener into the chaotic nature of the Grail. There are two aspects of that dark tower (not that one created by Stephen King), namely the primal and humane.
You know things have gotten real when Kotomine Kirei has never given a damn to which political ideology gets the Grail.

The primal aspect refers to Angra Mainyu. Rather than what's exactly wrong with humanity, this Servant was the true representation of what's wrong with... well, humanity. To know more, just go to the TYPE-MOON Wiki if you don't want to burn your time playing Fate/hollow ataraxia.

The humane aspect would be Sakura. This was also the reason why Aimer nailed that heavenly feel of Heaven's Feel for I beg you. The rhythm might sound weird to the average listener, but I know better, On the first glance, it sounded like some kind of LSD trip. But it felt natural for an acid trip (not that it's literally one because the cops would have busted me before this post is done). This was because Sakura's mental state has gone 200% unstable after Matou Zouken managed to infuse that damned Grail inside her (Note: The part on being 200% unstable was actually an understatement due what I've said about that Angry Mainyu). No, Sakura wasn't to blame for having to be a walking Grail. It's already bad enough to see innocent souls perishing at her hands. Yet, who was responsible for all this? That dickish Zouken who decided to make an Irisviel out of a person unrelated to the Einzbern bloodline (which in turn made Kiritsugu much less of a dick considering the events within Fate/Zero). Actually, every member of the Matou family was certified dickish except for Kariya. Sakura didn't count because she's adopted due to Tohsaka Tokiomi being... well, a dick.

As the song progressed, the unnatural feel became more natural. In fact, the song was effectively a feel of paradox where the unnatural was natural and vice versa. This brought forth that chaotic nature of the Grail within Sakura while the lyrics portrayed her only reason to try staying sane. Or more specifically semi-sane given the nature of the lyrics (and the Grail). Unlike Hana no Uta which was intended to be a duet between Shirou and Sakura, I beg you is all about this being Sakura's very own song. In fact, you can call this her image song.

So how would I rate this song? While I personally prefer Unlimited Blade Works out of the three routes, Heaven's Feel has to be the climax of the whole Fate/stay night saga due to the insane strength boasted by the plot and characters. This is also why I rate this song as... well, believe it or not, the highest so far out of Aimer's Fate/stay night songs. Maybe Steve did make a mistake by saying I shouldn't be so obsessed with anime. No, I don't mean Steve King. I'm referring to Steve Ang from (the now defunct) 32SIB@Clementi Camp.

Note to self: Wait... I beg you sounds eerily like what one would expect in Kariya's image song as well now that I've listened to it again.

Yes, this is John L'Otter breaking character
However, I'm not going to list this under Breaking Character for a reason: Because it has got nothing to do with history. But there's a reason why I'm breaking character here. This has got something to do with my past and there's no way I can become John L'Otter since I'll be addressing the presence of dickish people. And sea otters are dickish. They're not like the river otters you see in Punggol, Clarke Quay, and elsewhere in Singapore.

When I was in NS, I had the chance to deal with people who treated me in a humane manner. Even though the likes of Der Schlange, Enick TK, Carling, and Chief K enjoyed making fun of me, the three Tamil ladies and another Tamil Encik actually made me feel... well, more humane. Even though names like Komala, Santhya, Pathi, and Shankar weren't Chinese, they chose to respect the humanity of this Singaporean Chinese guy here. Humanity cannot be trusted, but that's because you meet vicious people together with the nice ones while knowing that you can't call the former monkeys. Because no matter how vicious people can be, they don't look like monkeys. Or gorillas. Or just about any type of primate.

In particular, Encik Shankar made me feel awkward because he put in too much effort in praising me while Komala said Kuok Minghui was different from other guys (i.e. every other guy was a jerk with Kuok Minghui being the only Emiya Shirou).

One of those who actually got no problem with me was the owner of a comic rental shop. I think she's still there. Anyway, she once asked me whether I was from China. Now if you're a local Singaporean, how would you react? Of course, you'd react like an angry Singaporean! But not me. Far from reacting like some Angry Mainyu, I actually answered no. In a calm manner. After all, she didn't commit any legal crime against me. The same couldn't be said about others during my dark days from Henderson Primary School to Gan Eng Seng (Secondary) School and all the way to ITE Dover before it moved house to somewhere else.

In Henderson Primary School, I was mocked Chicken McNugget. As if I was the only living thing walking on two legs. In Primary Four, I remember this wicked girl who refused to give me her medicated oil when everyone in the class was itching from some pong pong tree sap (by my guess). But the rest got her help. Just not me. So I had to use my saliva to ease the itch. Then everyone in class 4D gave me that dirty look. If someone tells me she's under no obligation to help me, then allow me to reply that Oda Nobunaga was under no obligations NOT to deal cruelly with his enemies.

At Gan Eng Seng, I had to deal with dickish classmates singing cruel songs and calling me spastic. There's this particularly dickish guy during Secondary Two who character-assassinated me before my science teacher. To David Long Junaidi, please be informed that some guy surnamed C was making use of you to make himself feel good and righteous. So please don't feel bad if you remembered what happened during 1996 while we're still in class 2H. There were two classmates who felt it's right to make me commit a mistake just to say "Oh, you stepped on his beret! I gonna tell teacher!" Bloody KN and son of Yang Tie Xin, you think it's fun waging psychological warfare on someone who was never your enemy? Oh and one more thing: If you're old enough to read GTO, then I'm old enough to know who's a liar in the name of convenience. As for that McDonald guy, I never offended you but you chose to treat me with subtle hostility.

In ITE Dover, I had to deal with two Blobs instead of one. I forgot one Blob's name, but I remember that other M.Blob. Then there's this little dog who verbally abused me as if I was a dog. He was my most hated enemy in the whole of ITE. Remember calling me pus? And there's this part in being betrayed for no reason at all with the first Blob being one of them. Look, I was never a member of the Danish royalty, my name wasn't Hamlet.

My teachers from Henderson Primary School to Gan Eng Seng (Note: There's no Primary School version during the 90s) to ITE Dover tried to help me, but they never truly affirmed me. This was because I'm sure they're not adequately trained. So no, they're merely ignorant albeit well-intended. Therefore, I still have to thank the likes of Mrs Ko and Ms Ho for their efforts. The only person in my schooling years to truly affirm me was Ms Ho Peng. But she's my principal, not my form teacher or subject teacher.

When I thought about this a few days ago, I realised one possibility behind why I was hated for no reason. Remember that nice lady owning the comic rental store? If her question was the reason why I had to suffer so much, then I really have to thank her in advance. At least a moment of curiosity gave me something to work with. No matter how politically incorrect her lack of malice was.

So why was I mistaken for a Chinese from China? After all, I don't recall people asking my parents whether they're from China. It wasn't until a few days ago that I decided to go Google search for facial features of Chinese people. From my best of knowledge, the ancestors of your local Singaporean Chinese neighbour came from the south. Regions like Fujian and Guangzhou belong to the south, hence the word 唐山 referred to southern China rather than the whole of China.

In other words, the only possible reason why I was mistaken for a mainland Chinese was that my features resembled someone from northern China. Ironically, it means I don't look like someone from 唐山, a place associated with the Chinese race. But there's a problem: My mother is Hokkien while my father is of Fuzhou ethnicity. So why in the blue hell would I end up having the features of someone from the north since my parents are of southern ethnicity? I don't know. Maybe I was adopted like how Emiya Shirou was adopted by Kiritsugu. Or maybe I was born a Kurt Wagner minus the complicated factors. Interestingly enough, I was born in the month of Nightcrawler 1982.

Searching for my roots(?)
I came across an interesting site detailing different sub-types of the East Asian people. When we talk about East Asians, one of the most common jokes would be either every one of us look the same or the Americans are just too damned dumb to tell their (Asian) friends from the Japs.
Think I found this in Reddit.

Looked more positive, dogmatic, and arrogant? Wonder if that's the reason why I became an enemy of the schoolyard democratic system. Anyway, I doubt I was born a Jap because my eyes don't look like one. And speaking of the eyes, I asked a departmental BFF of Nanny Wee (of the DDR-GIC fame) about which aspect of my features resembled a mainland Chinese. She said "the feel". When asked whether it's my eyes, she said no. When I asked whether it's any part of my features, she said it's because of the 气质. Basically, it's the accidental way of saying "You're screwed. You'd have better luck getting either a Japanese or Korean girlfriend because you won't get a local Singaporean girlfriend". Okay, that's a joke. I truly doubt I'm a descendant of Oda Nobunaga anyway.

So in this post, I'll be listing a few Sinid types. Nothing much, just a few things I've noted. Also, there's no way I can chuck in every Sinid in this post. Hence, I'll just put in some of the... well, more prominent ones.

Disclaimer!
I do NOT profess to be a geneticist. Otherwise, chances are that I'd know Dr Ng Swee Lian personally because she's actually one. Below portion should be seen as my attempt at analysis without the aid of genetic science. I must say this for a very good reason: I do NOT want to get sued, be it until my pants drop or not.

If there's a reason why Korean guys are tall, it's likely because they managed to become part of the contemporary Korean DNA. Unlike Japan, the Koreans were more chummy with their Big Bro Hua. Of course, things were never that straightforward. History rarely is. In the Tang dynasty, the Koreans were certified badasses for a reason: They're forced to because the Tang dynasty China was being dickish by invading their kingdom. More specifically kingdoms because that was during their own version of the Three Kingdoms era. Instead of Wei, Wu, and Shu, they got Goguryeo, Baekje, and Silla. Fast forward to Ming dynasty China and the Koreans became BFFs with Big Bro Hua. So it's not surprising to see the migration, immigration, emigration, or whatever you want to call that happening so long it's legal (And yes, piracy existed and it's 100% illegal). Interestingly, there are two other Sinid types which are arguably more Korean: Choshiu and Manchu-Korean. But there's a problem. And I'll come to that later on. In a later post.

Notable examples of the Huanghoid facial features:
We all like celebrities. Period. It's very likely many of our dream mainland Chinese celebs boasted of the Huanghoid genes.
Zhang Bichen
From: Tianjin
Height: 1.68m
Northerner: Yes
Height level: Huanghoid

Notes:
1. The late political titan Lee Kuan Yew possibly had Huanghoid genes. The northerners were traditionally well-off intellectuals. That suited his family background despite the geographically obvious. At the same time, he's a Hakka. Commonly believed to have originated from the Yellow River region, this assumption is reinforced by the fact that Lee Kuan Yew was also literally one titan of a man with his height reaching a whopping 1.80m mark. His eldest son Lee Hsien Loong is slightly taller at 1.83m. I tried Googling for Lee Hsien Yang's height, but nothing turned up. Either way, I'm convinced the younger Lee should be quite tall. Credit goes to the correct Lee Wei Ling for the info of the Lee family's ethnicity. After all, she did release a book.

2. China wasn't the most peaceful place to live in as interesting times were known to form a large part of the Chinese people's history. Maybe that's why Lee Kuan Yew wasn't a fan of democracy when it comes to bossing a Chinese (majority) society. In fact, Taiwan is now in the kind of political crisis known as a roller coaster ride starting from Chen Shui Bian's second tenure as the president. Seriously, election polling results do not lie in Taiwan ever since another Lee assumed power (i.e. Lee Teng Hui. That Kaohsiung girl from CT-MRI should know what I'm talking about).

3. This resulted in northerners bailing out to the south. Don't laugh, it happened before when the Song dynasty government had to move its capital from Kaifeng to Lin'an (i.e. from the north to south). When the Ming dynasty was at its death throes, the Manchu threat was compounded by peasant rebellions. In fact, it was another Li named Li Zicheng who officially ended the Ming dynasty. In turn, the Manchus took down the newly (self) crowned Emperor of China because someone named Wu Sangui was pissed off at Li Zicheng bedding (?) his girl. After all, there's a Chinese saying: 朋友妻不可欺,兄弟的女人不可把.

Translated in English, it means "Do not take advantage of your friend's wife, do not chase the skirt of your bro's girlfriend". Actually, the second part was invented by yours truly. Any case of coincidental plagiarism will result in credit given to the other person, not me.

Needless to say, the fall of Beijing would have resulted in the same thing.

4. What possibly happened (genetically speaking) was that the Lee family wasn't the only northern clan fleeing south. There were many others. As a result, inter-marriage between the northerners and their shorter southern cousins was possible.

Do I have Huanghoid genes?
On the first glance, it seemed to be the case. My father actually still has his wedding photo with my mother. His height is quite obviously NOT of the Huanghoid type. In fact, my family was one of 160 (i.e. the Kuok family is never a family of northern height). And besides, Nanny Wee's departmental BFF said my eyes didn't look mainland Chinese to her. I looked at myself in the mirror and my eyes looked local. Interestingly, the shape of my father's jaw looked like a Huanghoid. Then again, I won't be surprised if there are also other Singaporean Chinese like him.

Verdict: Pretty sure the answer is a No. If it is indeed true that I have Huanghoid genes, why is it that my height is of Japanese level instead of Singaporean level? It doesn't make any sense especially given how un-Singaporean the shape of my jaw is.

To be continued...
(Because this post is getting too long)

No comments:

Post a Comment